ETFE daklichten Silver Origin expeditieschip
De Hoop in Lobith commissioned Buitink Technology to supply and fit two skylights for the Silver Origin cruise ship
Benefits of ETFE sheeting skylights
The ETFE sheeting skylights supplied by Buitink Technology feature a number of major benefits, in particular when fitted to seagoing vessels:
- Compared to other systems (e.g. glass or polycarbonate), ETFE membranes are extremely lightweight (weighing only about 2 kg/m2);
- Large free spans are possible, so they need relatively little in the way of substructure;
- The material is fire-safe, being self-extinguishing and producing no burning droplets and virtually no smoke (meets European Standard EN 13501 - class B-s1, d0);
- ETFE sheeting can be supplied completely transparent or translucent in a range of colours, such as white;
- White ETFE sheeting lets a lot of light through but diffuses it completely creating a very pleasant ambience;
- ETFE sheeting is self-cleaning: rainwater washes it clean, and because ETFE sheeting is chemically inert, virtually nothing sticks to it.
Silver Origin cruise ship
|Surface:||Approx. 156 m2, 2 skylights|
|Material:||ETFE foil, white translucent | Specs >|
|Client:||Celebrity Cruises, United States|
|Vessel:||De Hoop Shipyard, Lobith|
|ETFE skylights:||Buitink Technology|
|Year of installation:||2020|
Detail drawing of ETFE skylights
The two ETFE skylights are mounted in the canopy on the upper deck, as illustrated below.
Engineering of ETFE skylights
Since the skylights are outdoors, they are subject to wind loads. The ETFE membranes are designed to cope with this.
Stretch ceilings for this vessel
Besides these 2 skylights of ETFE foil, Buitink Technology has delivered and assembled the stretch ceilings for this cruise ship. You can see how these were designed at Stretch ceiling Silver Origin expedition ship.
Bel ons op +31 (0)316-250830 of mail ons via [email protected]. U kunt ook direct gebruik maken van onderstaand contactformulier, zodat wij contact met u kunnen opnemen: